Sunday, March 21, 2010

Surprise!

11) Even the desert has beauty; Just take the time to look for it.

Well. I have been waiting for something to blog about. Now, don't get me wrong, school is just 'marvelous' (hint hint wink wink) but it just isn't blogging material. However, when life gets boring, you can always expect your mom to create something interesting, and, in this case, life changing. And so it begins...
I had just gotten home from a lovely sleepover at my
Grammy's house. It was G's first time, and it actually went well. I was really surprised! Anyway I had just gotten home, and the door was locked. I knocked and Mom opened the door. She let me in where music was blaring and the house was, as usual, immaculate. Then she gave me a huge hug and asked, " DID YOU HAVE A GOOD TIME AT GRAMMY'S?" I sort of looked at her thinking well, Mom, I've only been gone a day but I love you? Then, all of a sudden, all of my friends from school here, plus Madgirl, jumped out from behind the island and yelled "SURPRISE!!!!" I was a bit baffled, to say the least.
So I sort of stood there looking at A,K,E,M,C,S,L, and Madgirl and was trying to put my face into a normal expression as everyone laughed at me. Mom even took this lovely picture! And then I thought I suppose that's why she needed so many pizzas... I finally managed to get my face to move and said " Well, hello there,um..."
As everyone was laughing I was being herded over to the stairs. We went down and M was very excited as she opened my door. There were colorful streamers everywhere and pretty handmade posters on my walls. There were 8 pairs of shoes of all different sizes in random places around the room. 3 presents were lined up on my windowsill. Of course, then I HAD to open them. First C's, which was a pretty card with a sparkly ice cream cone on it, then M's, which held a small jar full of paper stars. She explained in a little card that they were pick-me-up stars, and that whenever I was discouraged I could open one and there would be a message inside. These were a huge hit.The last gift was from S. It was in a
manila envelope with a white bow. I pulled out the contents. On top was a letter, saying that this was the rough draft and that the real one would be made and delivered next week. I moved the letter aside and found a blue binder that was the rough draft of a calendar! Each page included pictures of one of the people at the party and had places where they could write their messages to me. It was great! I was very excited to see the real thing.
G came down and he informed us very professionally that there were chips and dip upstairs if we'd like them. The majority of the girls were overjoyed at the prospect of food and stormed up the stairs, while I told them that I'd be up in a moment. M stayed behind. I almost cried, just almost, but since there were people around, I held it together. We went upstairs and had pizza, chips and dip, and delicious red velvet cupcakes homemade straight from the box!
For the rest of the time we learned how to make stars, made duct tape squares, and laughed a lot, as girls do. Everyone slowly was picked up, and the calendar got its final touches, and phone numbers of people not known before were exchanged. Addresses were written down. M stayed over, and the whole thing seemed almost to have been surreal. It made me very happy, but also very sad. It feels so much more final now that I've had a goodbye party, but I would not have had my final days here any other way.

4 comments:

  1. Oh.. Kaylin.. that was a perfect blog..I'm so glad the party went as planned..your ma is a pretty good planner to say the least! Sounds like all you crazy girls had a splendid time..the cupcakes looked yummy too.Before you know it your going to have just as many friends in your new state of Washington..but your friends here in Illinois will have a place always in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, K...it sounds like so much fun. A lot of love went into making this surprise for you and there is clearly a lot of it around you.
    I really, really, really like the jar full of stars. Could there be any more perfect "going away" gift?
    Homemade-straight-from-the-box cupcakes, huh? ha ha ha. You have a very wonderful writing style that brings out the laughter in me every time.
    ♥ ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Sigh* What an oh so bittersweet moment. I must emphasize the fact that IIIIII personally myself was very proud of my single-handed decoration of your room. (Mainly because I think I've put streamers up like, never times before!) Anyway, the party was very fun and I really liked the whole togetherness of the situation. This just really shows how much people care about you and will miss you. And for all you When in Washington Readers, Ki-Ki was way more shocked than it seems in the picture. The side view doesn't even come close to what it looked like from the front-view! Priceless!
    ~M/Crip~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane- You should have had a cupcake! Mom is a really good planner. That's her specialty, I think.

    Farmgirl_dk- How long were you aware of this, hmmm? And my jar full of stars is very fun. I can barely open them, they are so pretty! I do indeed strive for laughter, so I'm glad that I amused you!

    M- Hey I'm really sorry I didn't put that pic up...I seriously didn't see it. But you did decorate it, and it is gorgeous! Well, I was pretty shocked.

    ReplyDelete