Thursday, April 29, 2010

I'm Doing Alright

13) Look out for rattlesnakes! AH!

OK. This is going to be a
loooooooooooong post, so make sure you have some time.

I'm sorry that I haven't written in a while. I've been busy, believe it or not. Alright. This is flashback one: The night before the move.

It was a dark and stormy night...okay, okay, I lied. It was not a dark and stormy night. But for the sake of imagery, pretend it was. But anyway, it was nighttime. And guess what we did! A whole bunch of nothing. There was some tweaking of suitcases and carry-ons. Such as my mom taking out all the duct tape I had put into my backpack! Ah! It was only half of it... if you've ever seen my supply, well, you know how much duct tape that is. So that is all that I did the last night I was in IL.

Now, flashback 2. This is the day of the move. Well, my goodness, that was just... you'll see.

It was 4 a.m. I know! That's insanely early! But I was not tired for some reason. We all walked out to the truck, carrying backpacks and suitcases and Darbys. J and G and I sat in the backseat, and I know I was watching my precious home for the last time...at least for a while. J and I spent the 15 minute drive...can you guess? Counting cars. I know it sounds dumb. But there were only 13 cars out that early...besides at the airport.
We sat for about 25 minutes in the airport, waiting for the flight to start boarding. It finally did. I sat and stared out the window, watching the lights and squares of farmland filled with corn fade away below me. I slept the whole way to Detroit.
I woke up when we landed, preparing for a 3 hour layover. We got a healthy breakfast of
McDonalds before looking for our gate and settling down. I rocked out to my tunes, then searched for some postcards. There were some pretty ones of the Detroit area that I bought. More lounging, more lounging, some comic reading, some texting...okay. We decide to get some lunch to take on the plane. We got some peanut butter and jelly bagels from a place named after Einstein. Hmmm. I didn't know he specialized in bagels...Anyway, our plane came half an hour later than it was supposed to, which was not good because we had such little layover into our local airport in Washington.
Our flight went well. I fell asleep before I had a chance to eat my bagel, so when I woke up I was starving. I listened some more to my
iPod, then fell back asleep. When I woke up, we were in Salt Lake City. I can't say that I've ever seen anything that beautiful in my life. There were huge mountains everywhere. You could see the white tops blending into the sky, the rivers snaking through the lands, and some beautiful forests. I was taken aback. I had never seen a mountain before. I couldn't believe how pretty it was in Utah. When we landed, the fiasco began.
We who were heading into Washington were driven on electric carts to our gate. Despite that, we missed our flight. It wasn't fun at all. Mom looked like the world was ending as we went up to customer service. The lady said that the next flight to Washington was not for 6 more hours. There were some...interesting dilemmas, such as not knowing whether Darby was still here. We were reassured that she was indeed here in
SLC with us. I breathed a huge sigh of relief. Finally we were given tickets for the next flight. We had nothing to do now but to wait. Much more laying around. Mom called Dad and I called A. We had Chinese food for dinner and frozen yogurt for dessert. Then finally, finally, we were on the plane home. We got off and waited in exhaustion for my dad. We hugged him forever, then I went to go get Darby, who was so excited that her tail was booming against the edge of her crate. We drove to the apartment and fell into bed.

Okay, so, that sure was a grand old time, huh? Finally, flashback 3. The first day of school:

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was taken on a tour by some nice girls and I met all my teachers. I only needed paper, a pencil, and my flute. I missed science because of the tour, but I went to band, honors reading, social studies( which is, by the way, dead BORING!!!), PE, lunch, honors algebra, and finally language arts. So, all in all, it was another day at school...only I was lonely all day because I only knew a few people.

My moving experience wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be. I miss everyone over there, and if anyone's reading: HELLO!!!! Alright, I'll go now, but I will be sure to post much more often!

9 comments:

  1. Ok..so I was just checking in on your blog today, and was saddened by the fact that you hadn't added any words of wisdom.. or even just some plain ole words..and I look again later, and lo and behold..here you are.. What a nice surprise.
    I really hated the idea of you guys stuck in that airport for so long..but you all handled it nicely..and now its in the past..it sounds as if you've moved forward very pleasantly.. You've become friendly with some girls..and you even have a couple new additions to the family, which will be arriving next month..how exciting is that?
    I hope when I get there..we can do some exploring on your days off from school..am looking forward to seeing you all, and getting lots of hugs..
    All in all the whole moving experience will one day just become a memory..for you to tuck away and tell YOUR children about some day..
    Miss you all..and see you on Mon.. yayyyyyyyyy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there. I tried to comment on this the day you posted, but Blogger kept erroring out. Grrrr.
    You have had an exciting month, haven't you? I'm really glad the whole moving thing is behind you guys and you can focus on settling down and settling in. I loved seeing you last week and, though I know it's lonely right now, I have no doubt that you will soon be making friends right and left. I hope you'll continue your blogging and post a few pics now and then.
    ♥ ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane- I can't wait for the goats or for you to come soon!
    Farmgirl_dk- I had fun too! I wanted to post pics but I was on the wrong computer:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad that you guys got there safely and that you are adjusting to life in Washington. I think about you all so often and hope that you continue to blog so I can keep up with you. I hope to come out there sometime and have you show me all around. Take care.
    J.J. (your birthday twin :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks BIRTHDAY TWIN!!!! We are thinking of you out here as well and we all hop that you can come to visit soon! I'll be sure to keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Urgh!!! I commented on this post before like anyone else did, but apparently it didn't work!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ugh, I'm frustrated! Well, I'm glad you are settling in OK, but I always knew you would. It's good that you are making friends. Plus, you have finally been reunited with your duct tape AND the world of Sims. Yay!!!! Bow I'm gonna share another tip that you can put in my book I suppose. Remember that no matter what you do, make the best of of what it is you're doing. Turn a bad situation into a good one. Although, you seem to be doing this pretty well, so I guess I'm just saying this as a reminder. I hope my comment works this time! Luv ya!
    ~M/Cripple~
    By the way- Have you used any of my stars?

    ReplyDelete
  7. M- I'm sorry that your comment didn't work:( but it did this time. And thanks. I may have to go through all of your comments and pick out your philosophical quotes. Also I have used some stars but I am saving them. Me and Darby will sit in my room sometimes and I will open one or two. I love them! Oh and my calendar should be coming soon!!!!!!! I am sooooooo excited for that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. K- this entry made my tummy flip! I am glad you and the rest of the family made it safe! I bet your dad really liked all the hugs! Xo aunt Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Aunt Shelly and I bet he did!!!

    ReplyDelete