Monday, February 15, 2010

Presidents Day Weekend

8) Some schools get out early every Wednesday!

This weekend was, as most of you know, Presidents Day weekend. That means 3 days off. Yay! Since my family will be moving in less than 7 weeks, all of our other family and friends are trying to hook up with us to do things. My grandparents, who live a couple hours south of me, came up this weekend. It was lots of fun! Grandma was supposed to come up Friday, but Grandpa was coming Saturday. Lo and behold, when I got home with M, Grandpa was sitting at the counter talking to my mom! Grandma didn't know that he was coming, so when she got here she was really confused. It was funny though! We sort of hung out and ate after M left, and then turned on the Olympics.

" If we were in Washington, we could've gone to see the Olympics!" I told Dad, since the Winter Olympics are in Vancouver this year. He just laughed. I think he's nervous. He's leaving this week.

On Saturday, Grandma took me, J, and G to Barnes and Noble Bookstore. Normally I'm really in to books. I still was, but I hadn't read any spectacular books for quite a while, and the ones I like I own. In the end I decided on The Book Thief (to learn more, click on the link!).I am very interested in the Holocaust and this is one of my favorite books. Next we went to Meijer to get some groceries, then headed home. More Olympics, then bedtime! Sunday was Valentines Day. Grandma had made us each a little bag. Mine contained a Marshmallow Heart, a box of candy hearts, and a small plush elephant. She was pink and very cute. G and J got some too and we actually spent all day playing with our elephants. Farmgirl_dk sent us a package too! Inside was a big bag of cherry gummy hearts and a valentine for each of us. I loved mine, and ate the Reese's Heart inside at once.

Also on Sunday, our vehicles were taken away to be shipped to Washington. My grandma had driven down a van for us to use and Dad borrowed a car from a friend, so we were all good. There was lots of crying, mostly by my grandma, and a few hours later, my grandparents left. My dad almost cried that day. He almost let himself show the sadness that he held toward the situation. But he didn't. Instead, he breathed deeply, and Mom hugged him hard. Now we are all hoping time will slow down so that my daddy can stay longer. It won't, and he'll be gone before I know it, but soon enough, I'll be out there too.

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like a very busy and fun weekend with more than a little sadness sprinkled in. I feel so happy for your dad that he has found this incredible new job, but so sad that you all are having to leave your wonderful family, friends and support network. I know how hard of a time this is for everyone.

    You do such a good job writing down your feelings and observations on what is going on. Some people (me, lol) can have a tendency to keep this stuff all bottled up inside which, I've been told, isn't healthy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a very busy weekend with happy and sad all mixed in, huh?
    I know you are having a lot of different emotions right now and I think that youre doing a terrific job of expressing those emotions in your writing. Being able to talk(or write) about what youre feeling is a great thing. Not everyone finds this an easy thing to do.
    Its gonna be hard being away from such a great support system that we have made for ourselves here. But you know what? We will be okay. We are a very strong family filled with lots of love....and this is a great thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. farmgirl_dk- it was pretty sad. I didn't like seeing my grandma cry because her only son was moving out of state. I didn't like watching while my dad almost cried. I didn't like hearing how soon he was moving constantly. It made me want to sit down and cry. It was really hard, but Valentines Day was a great distraction from all of that. You have a great knack for getting packages here right on schedule. We got it Saturday.

    frugalmom- We are a very strong family filled with love. It'll be enough to get us through this ordeal. We'd better buckle up- it's gonna be a bumpy ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It'll be ok Ki-Ki. Honestly, i wish we had our cars shipped when we were moving. Goodness gracious it isnt fun to drive from Washington to Georgia! But regardless of whether or not you have your cars, you are still gonna be here for a little while longer. And when you're gone, us people in Illinois will still be here to support you. Just always remember that even if you are half a country away from someone, if you have a strong enough bond, your friends will be with you always.
    ~Crip/M~

    ReplyDelete
  5. M- I have decided that you are going to write a book- M's Book of Philosophical Advice. Even if I have to buy myself a ticket to get back here, you're going to. And I always forget that you lived in Washington for a while. Ohio is really the one that I remember just because that's where you always are. I know that my friends and I have a strong enough bond to make it through this, and if we don't, I'll buy some super glue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm gonna write a book, huh? My book of Pilosophical Advice? I spose i could do it. It's ok about the moving thing. Ohio is pretty prominent. But if you ever move to Georgia, man have I got enough to tell you! And by the way, there's no need to buy super glue, I,ve got some in my sock drawer. ok I'm kidding, we have it in our kitchen.
    ~Crip/M~

    ReplyDelete
  7. M- Yes, you're gonna write a book! And if we ever move back across the country to Georgia, I think I might go insane. Not because it's Georgia, but because I DO NOT WANT TO MOVE AGAIN! Unless it's back here, of course.

    ReplyDelete