Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Field Trip!

2) There are a more big cities there besides Seattle.

Hey! Thank you, everyone, for the comments. They help me a lot and really boost my confidence. Since I'm not actually in Washington yet, I will write posts of things that I find funny or interesting from school or home. Please be aware that it is indeed school, so I may not write everyday for lack of a subject. Luckily, we went on a field trip today, just my grade. We went to a career conference.

The conference was held at our local movie theater. The man who spoke to us first had just fallen down the stairs waiting for us. It was very funny until he managed to mention it every time he opened his mouth... Anyway he then introduced us to another man who did manage to make a new joke each time. He taught us 4 "gets" to keep in mind that will make it easier to find a decent job.
1: Get your work done with quality
2: Get to school/work on time
3: Get along with peers and coworkers
4: Get CREATIVE

Then we went to the sessions which, after taking a survey, were the best fitting to be interesting to us. The speakers that I had weren't the greatest, but not the worst either. For my Human Services session there was and army officer, an enlisted soldier, and a pharmacy technician for the army. The officer (a lieutenant he said he was ) was an okay speaker, but he was very textbook. The enlisted soldier didn't speak, but he did stand with his arms crossed looking very armyish. The pharmacy technician was my favorite speaker for Human Services. He was very friendly and made sure to include us as much as possible. I sat with my friend A, but her sisters K and E plus my friend M were there too. Then a Career Coach spoke. She was one of those people who thinks that she's being funny but only succeeds half of the time.
After Human Services I had Art/Communications. I was expecting lots of paintings and things, things that I would enjoy, but I was disappointed. The first man did show us a painting that he had done but only very briefly before going on to his job and real passion: Website design. He worked for a newspaper and he helped to design this website: Click! I made a link! Anyway he showed us part of a humongous list of computer instructions and then a huge stack of books on his subject. After that, a man who commentates for Illinois sports games talked to us. He played back some of last nights Illinois versus Purdue game. I did rather like him!

The best part of the field trip though was the lunch. We got to go to Monical's; one of the best places to get pizza on Illinois. I sat with M, A, K, L, D1, and D2. It was really fun! We had pizza and soda; well I had water because I don't like soda but you get the idea. :) . I switched name tags with D1 and became him for a little while. Then, sadly, we had to get back on the yellow buses and go back to school. Even though the field trip was boring, I did enjoy myself some. I didn't get a huge new idea for what to be when I get older, but I did get to see some new sides of the career clusters that I sat in for. Ta ta for now!

7 comments:

  1. Yay! First comment for this entry! Yes! Ok, so i completely agree that the field trip was BORING! I now know what I NEVER EVER want to do... be a webpage designer.
    Now I just have a couple of blog tips personally for you Ki-Ki... even though i've never blogged before.
    1. Tell your readers who A, E, K, M, L, D1, and D2 are. Or at least tell if they are boy or girl... although some D2 is questionable...
    Alright, I lied, I have one tip. BUT THIS IS ONLY FROM A READER'S POINT OF VIEW! I AM NOT TRYING TO TELL YOU HOW TO RUN YOUR BLOG!!!!!!!! Just trying to help!
    Well, luv ya!
    ~Cripple~

    ReplyDelete
  2. The next time I do a presentation, I'm going to remember your critique! Keep the postings coming. You're quite articulate. But then I already knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sure try to get you to think about that early on don't they..it seems even if you did decide now, you'd change your mind a 100 times before college.haha.Whatever you decide to do..I hope its something you have REAL gusto for..something you want to grab ahold of and do it with all your heart. Good luck with all that..select wisely, but no matter what you do, I pray you continue on with your writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmmm...Monicals. With french dressing. But really? Public Speaking....Blech. I dont like it. I dont necessarily mind listening to it. I just dont like to be the one doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your style - you have an excellent way with words! Your descriptions do a great job of making me feel like I was right there with you.
    I do feel kind of badly for the poor guy who fell down the stairs and couldn't stop talking about it. I'm imagining that he was really, really (really) embarrassed about it and just couldn't let it go. I've had stuff like that happen before.
    Tell me, how are your friends handling the news about you moving? Are any of them interested in coming to visit you in Washington?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel the same way...the fieldtrip was a little iffy, but the lunch was delicious! We need to get together sometime soonish, this weekends kind of busy for me, but we'll find a time and a place sooner or later...I hope sooner.:) Okay well I really should be doing my homework right now so bye bye..:)C

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Cripple. I certainly will tell about my friends. I just didn't think that that particular post was a great time to do so.
    Barb- I hope that your listeners will appreciate the changes!
    Diane- I am hoping to be a teacher. They are underpaid, I know that, but I have hears that I have a knack for it.
    frugalmom- Yes I don't particularly fancy the idea of public speaking either.
    farmgirl_dk- Yes I did feel bad for him. He may have been embarrassed, yea.
    C- Oh yes I do think that it was iffy. And a time other than this weekend would be great! And sooner... yes sooner.:)

    ReplyDelete