Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Lovely News

Hey. I'm Ki-Ki. This blog will be made for the friends that will be left behind on my move across the country, but it may also give some kids from my new school an idea of my outlook on life. I will include pictures and tales of my daily adventures as I grow accustomed to life in Washington, as well as daily tips on what to do when you're in Washington. You'll notice the dots after Washington in the title. I will add the rest of the sentence. Although I'm not there yet, I will get tips to put on. My very first When In Washington tip....
1) Learn to realize that there is a desert there.

Alrighty. Now I 'm not sure how many people know that there is a desert in Washington. Here's how I found out:
We'll call it the Lovely news. My parents sat on the couch, faces serious, and told me and my brother J that they needed to tell us something.
"Did someone die?" was my first question. Mom laughed and shook her head. I let out a mental sigh of relief. I was figuring that nothing bad could've happened. The house wasn't back on the market yet, so we couldn't possibly be moving yet. Boy was I wrong. We had been planning to move about 30 minutes away from our cozy little home.
"Dad got a job interview that he is very interested in. It's in Washington." Mom broke it to us.
I thought that the world had fallen out of orbit around me. There was no way on Earth... Washington? My mom calmly explained about the job and how they would be going there soon to look at schools and a few homes. She told about how we could have a farm now which has been a dream of hers for a while now. I took it all in while my eyes were threatening to overflow. I could barely speak. I was asked what I looked forward to most.
"We'll get another dog." I said tonelessly, still in a state of shock. Mom was a bit irate. She wanted me to look at the positives. The positives? I was just making friends here! Then she proceeded to explain that we wouldn't even be living in a green part of Washington. We'd be living in the desert. Can you believe it? A desert in Washington! There are huge hills, she told me. And tumbleweeds.

So now I am waiting for the dreadful news that means that we will have to get in a plane and fly to join my dad, who will be going out in late February. He may be taking my baby with him. My baby girl, my puppy, Darby. Dad will be all alone out there, so they decided that taking Darby could help him not to feel so alone. You will come to discover that I adore my dog, and that many stories of her will be told.
If you're interested in what happens to me in Washington, follow When In Washington closely. Leave comments and I promise that I'll respond. :)

19 comments:

  1. Dear Ki-Ki, I can't wait to hear how your story will unfold. This is a scary, sad time because of all your special friends that you're leaving behind but it's also going to be a very interesting, exciting time because of all the new things you are about to experience. Hang in there, Washington is a beautiful, friendly state - even the desert part. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your support. I am very scared to be going into a new school with no friends to start with. It's even scarier then the first time I moved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ki-Ki, I understand how sad you are,and intimidated by meeting new people,and making new friends..It isn't going to be one of the easiest things you've conquered in your life..but it is one your GOING TO CONQUER.Just think how Darby felt coming into a new home,not knowing a soul.having to trust that these new people are going to be nice to her.This is going to be a huge new adventure..and you and J are going to have to trust in the fact that there are alot of nice people in the world, and your going to meet some of them when you start that new school.SCARY?? Sure..but this won't be the last scary thing you'll have to do in your life..Be confident in yourself..your a beautiful person, and those kids are going to see that beauty within you.. Those are my words of wisdom.. I'm VERY excited about your new blog..looking forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Diane. I do suppose that my baby was scared. Those are very nice words of advice. I will be sure to keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I've been in this town almost my entire life, and I always wonder how I'd deal with moving somewhere new. I'll miss you guys, but I'll think of it as an adventure, and live through your eyes.

    You're a great writer! I could almost feel what you were feeling, and my eyes threatened to overflow too!

    You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ki-Ki, I agree with Gnightgirl. You are a good writer. I am very excited for you and your family's new adventure. I also agree with Diane. You are a beautiful person full of kindness. You will have no problem fitting in. Keep your head up kiddo. Love ya Aunt Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gnightgirl- It means a lot for you to say that you like my writing. That's a lavish compliment coming from you.
    Aunt Shelly- Thank you for the kind words. I do hope to fit in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ello Ki-Ki! Im so super excited about reading your blog thingamajig! woohoo! I plan on commenting a lot, so be prepared! MWAHAHAHAHA!!!! All I can tell you about Washington is that it rains a whole lot and has frequent rainbows. But that's pretty irrelevant considering you are gonna live in a desert! But deserts are cool things too. I'm sure I will come up with a good reason in a year or two... but you'll be fine.
    Now listen and listen good. I have been the new kid at school five times, and it is tough. But people will befriend you,the same way they did at the school you are going to.Being the new kid can be difficult, but you have to come out of your shell a little and say one word...Hi.
    The power of hi, or hello, is a miraculous thing. As long as you have the guts to say hi, you can say anything. People will respect that you are willing to try and that can start a friendship. Just say hi, and one thing will lead to another.
    My last word of advice is to be confident. Be confident in yourself, and if talking to one specific person doesn't work out, you should be proud of yourself for trying. Just know that you are a beautiful, smart, talented girl and if one person is a too much of a jerk to talk to you, it's their loss! Stinks to be them!
    So i bid you good luck on your venture cross-country. I hope you are successful on your journey, and farewell until next entry!
    ~Cripple~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cripple- thank you for those kind words of wisdom. I really appreciate the lovely compliments and advice. The power of hello thing was really impressive and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well Ki-Ki, I'm just here to read and help. I am surely looking forward to your blog and hope to read many, many entries.
    ~Cripple~

    ReplyDelete
  11. cripple- you most certainly will read many posts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ki-Ki! I'm excited to see you here in blogdom. I can't wait to read your posts. Everyone has a unique perspective, and it will be fascinating to read yours as the story unfolds. I was the new kid when I was in sixth grade. Anyone who has moved will tell you that it is scary at first, but you will find that people in Washington aren't that different than the people here. When I went to school in Vermont, I was terrified, and remember how much older I was then (a LOT older than when I was in 6th grade, right?), but I met some great folks.

    You won't be alone while you are going through this. You have a terrific family, and everyone here will be cheering you on.

    Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful writing, looking forward to more positive comments!! Keep your chin up!! Gibaba

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank You Barb and Gibaba! Barb that is great advice about the people being just as nice. And Gibaba I appreciate the compliment on my writing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic first post! As scary as all of this seems right now...just stay true to who you are and you will find that that is a huge comfort all on its own.
    Its going to be a big transition, thats for sure. And each of us will deal with that in our own different way.
    Youre going to be just fine! One day at at time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Ki-Ki,
    The Lovely News was amazing..I knew exactly how you felt because of your super descriptive writing..it was beautiful. I am going to miss you a super dooper lot...but we will spend the time we have left laughing rather than dwelling. I will write again at a later date. See you tomorrow at school. :)C

    ReplyDelete
  17. C- Thank you for the compliment on my writing! I appear to be getting a lot of those...
    frugalmom- Thank you for the lovely inspiration! It makes me feel lots better

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kiki~
    I know either you're getting tired of this or loving it but im gonna say it anyway. Your writing is sooooo good! Here's my advice to you for when you move...I've only moved once, but still I mean, it's advice!
    1.) Be yourself! People need to like you for who you are, not what you pretend to be.
    2.) Be a good friend. If someone needs you, be there and support them which you do awesomely now.
    3.) Smile and laugh. Smiling is an amazing way to let someone know you're there, listening, and happy! Everyone loves a happy person :)
    4.) Do what Cripple said: definitely say hi. Don't be afraid. Even if they're "popular" (they won't diss you unless they're total jerks in which case you wouldn't want to be their friend anyway!) they'll prolly say hi back and there you go. They'll realize you're pretty cool and bang! you got friends!
    5.) When you're first meeting people, don't hang on to one person in particular. Become friends with a few people so you have options. Trust me no one wants a second shadow (even though you wouldn't be a bad shadow!)
    Alright those are S's words of wisdom for the day. You're gonna have tons of fun in Washington and you're gonna have tons of friends. No worries babe!!
    Love you 4eva!
    *S*

    ReplyDelete
  19. S-That's great advice and thank you

    ReplyDelete